2020 Certification Scholarship
The SHRM Foundation offers scholarships to SHRM members seeking their SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification. This scholarship awards one SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification exam as well as SHRM's online Learning System.
- Current SHRM member (Professional or student membership must be active when applying and throughout the year in which you receive the award)
- Meet eligibility requirements for SHRM Certification
- Plan to sit for the exam within 12 months after the scholarship notification date
How to Apply
Complete online application including:
- Contact information
- Short answer questions about academic/training, volunteer and career experience and your need for the scholarship
- Current resume (or academic transcript if applicable)
- One letter of reference (letter may be addressed to the 'SHRM Foundation Scholarship Review Committee' and should provide insight into your character, academic or career and volunteer accomplishments, work ethic, and values. May be written by work or volunteer colleague, professor, coach, etc., but should not come from a family member
Please print your application for your records before you submit it. Once you submit your application, the SHRM Foundation will not be able to return it to you, in whole or in part, for any reason.
- 40% work experience/progression (HR involvement and future career plans); current students without significant work experience will be reviewed based on academic background and breadth and quality of HR coursework
- 40% volunteer activity (SHRM experience preferred, but not required)
- 20% reference letter
Applications are reviewed and scored by groups of SHRM volunteers in each region and are reviewed by staff. Volunteer reviewers will be from a region outside of the applicant's region. All decisions are final. Each award is a one-time award, however previous applicants and past recipients are eligible to re-apply. Previous award is no guarantee of a future award.
Scholarships are considered taxable income by the IRS. Applicants selected for an award will be required to provide a Social Security number or other tax ID; SHRM will issue a 1099 for the tax year in which the scholarship was awarded.
Named Scholarships to be Awarded
Several of our scholarships are made possible through the generous support of the following organizations and individuals. You do not need to apply for a specific, named scholarship - the SHRM Foundation will determine if your application qualifies for any of these awards:
- 3M Certification Scholarship
- CalSHRM Certification Scholarship
- Career Spa, LLC Certification Scholarship
- HR Florida State Council Certification Scholarship
- Maine SHRM State Council Certification Scholarship
- Miriam E. Gordon Memorial Certification Scholarship
- Pennsylvania State Council Certification Scholarship
- Sara Rynes Certification Scholarship
- SHRM Partners Certification Scholarship
- Talent Connections, LLC Certification Scholarship
- Texas Bay Area SHRM Chapter Scholarship
- Virginia SHRM State Council Certification Scholarship
- Wisconsin SHRM State Council Certification Scholarship
If you are selected to receive a SHRM Foundation Certification Scholarship you will receive a SHRM Learning System and exam for the SHRM Certification for which you are eligible (SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP), to be claimed 12 months from the date they are issued. If you do not claim your scholarship by the deadline, you will have to reapply for a new scholarship, with no guarantee of receiving a new scholarship. Please note, the SHRM Foundation cannot reimburse certification exam fees.
All scholarship applicants will receive notification of their award status by close of business August 2, 2020.