2021 Mentor of the Year Award
Mentor of the Year - Professional or Emerging Professional
- Person submitting application must be a current SHRM member (active membership through July 15th of the award year)
- Mentor must be employed full-time in a Human Resources related position or role (HR Faculty is acceptable).
- Mentor and Mentee must have been working together and collaborating for at least 6 months.
How to Apply
Online application including:
- Contact information for both mentor and mentee
- Short answer questions about mentor/mentee relationship, connection to HR, and career aspirations
- One letter of reference**
** Letters of reference will be submitted online and can be addressed to the ‘SHRM Foundation Review Committee’ and should provide insight into the relationship between the mentor and mentee, including length of time, projects of collaboration, changes in skills and behaviors or examples of success. Letters may be written by work or volunteer colleagues, coaches, professors, friends or family members who can truly speak to the successful relationship dynamic. Applicants must request all recommendation letters through our scholarship application system. SHRM Foundation cannot accept recommendation letters directly from applicants. We encourage applicants to request recommendation letters early in the application process. Please know, your application is not complete until your letter of recommendation is submitted and you select "submit."
Please print your application for your records before you submit it. Once you submit your application, the SHRM Foundation will not be able to return it to you, in whole or in part, for any reason.
Award Distribution (for Mentor and Mentee)
- Complimentary full annual conference registration*
- Up to four-night hotel stay**
- $500 travel stipend***
*Pre-conference sessions, seminars and guest registration not included.
**Housing will be provided at a hotel of SHRM’s choice.
*** SHRM Foundation will reimburse recipients for all travel related expenses up to $500 following submission of itemized receipts
If you are selected to receive the Mentor the Year Award, a member of the SHRM Foundation team will work with the two recipients (mentor and mentee) on annual conference registrations and hotel bookings. Recipients are responsible for scheduling travel plans and submitting all itemized travel related invoices/receipts not to exceed $500.00 (i.e., flight, meals, gas, tolls, taxi/uber, etc.).
Previous Mentor/Mentee award recipients are NOT eligible to re-apply for a minimum of five years.
- Due to Covid-19 / Global Health Crisis, SHRM Foundation reserves the right to adjust the award package as needed. This may include shifting from in-person to virtual, changing travel stipends, or canceling the award as a whole.
Please note, the SHRM Foundation does not reimburse for any fees or any associated expenses incurred prior to award. SHRM/SHRM Foundation employees or board members and the immediate family are not eligible to apply for SHRM Foundation Scholarships, Grants, or Awards.