2022 Academic Scholarships
Academic Scholarships - Graduate and Undergraduate
- Current SHRM member (professional or student)
- Enrolled in a degree-seeking undergraduate program or master's/doctoral program with at least one full semester remaining before graduation (see additional clarification below), OR accepted and ready to begin your studies within six months*
- University is a regionally accredited institution of higher learning
- Degree program is HR-related (e.g. business, psychology, HR, org development, etc.)
- Minimum Grade Point Average
- Undergraduate - Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Graduate - Cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale, or if not yet enrolled, an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
* The purpose of this award is to assist in paying for the upcoming academic year. As such, in order to be eligible for this scholarship, your semester or academic term must begin after Aug. 1 of the application year. This award may not be used to cover past expenses.
How to Apply
Online application including:
- Contact information
- Short answer questions about academic, volunteer, and work experience and career aspirations
- Current Resume
- Transcripts from an accredited institution.*
- Universities within the United States must be regionally accredited
- Universities outside of the United States must be accredited by a widely recognized accrediting body within the country or by the agency or ministry that oversees higher education within the country
- Transcripts can be "unofficial", but we reserve the right to request official transcript if additional verification is needed.
- One Letter of Reference**
*Transcripts must be in English. The SHRM Foundation may request an applicant with an international transcript to provide a transcript evaluation (at the applicant’s expense), from World Education Services or another reputable service, prior to reviewing an application.
**Applicants must request all recommendation letters through our application system. Letters may be written by work or volunteer colleagues, coaches, professors, etc. but should not come directly from the applicant or applicant's family members. We encourage applicants to request recommendation letters early in the application process. Please know, your application is not complete until your letter of recommendation is submitted and you select "submit."
Please print your application for your records before you submit it. Once you submit your application, the SHRM Foundation will not be able to return it to you, in whole or in part, for any reason.
Named Grants to be Awarded
Several of our professional grants are made possible through the generous support of the below organizations and individuals. You do not need to apply for a specific, named professional grant, if applicable the SHRM Foundation will determine for which grant you qualify.
Graduate Sponsored Awards
- National Academy of Human Resources- NAHR (2)
- Richard A. Beaumont Memorial Scholarship- NAHR
- HR Florida
Undergraduate Sponsored Awards
- HR Florida
- Kronos Undergrad
- Larry Burk
- Libby Sartain
- Lisa Burke
- North Carolina
- Ohio SHRM State Council
- Paula Harvey
- Pollin Group
- Schultz Family
- Texas Bay Area Chapter
- Tina L. Pavish Memorial
Applications are evaluated and scored by groups of SHRM volunteers and are reviewed by staff. All decisions are final. If selected to receive an Undergraduate or Graduate Academic Scholarship, recipients will be required to provide proof of enrollment and college/university payment instructions. The SHRM Foundation will issue a check not to exceed $2,500 (for undergraduate) or $5,000 (for graduate) directly to the institution for payment of tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution. Fees for books, supplies, room/board and equipment are not covered by this award.
Each scholarship is a one-time award; however, previous applicants and past scholarship recipients are eligible to re-apply.
- Full-time, part-time, online, and distance learning programs are acceptable.
- Scholarships are for college-degree programs only and may not be used to attend professional development seminars.
- Recipients should intend on submitting proof of enrollment no later than July for the institution to receive timely payment.
Please note, the SHRM Foundation does not reimburse for any fees or any associated expenses incurred prior to award. SHRM/SHRM Foundation employees or board members and the immediate family are not eligible to apply for SHRM Foundation Scholarships, Grants, or Awards.