2022 Cheslie C. Kryst Memorial Scholarships
Cheslie C. Kryst Memorial Scholarships - Graduate and Undergraduate
In honor of Cheslie's legacy, the SHRM Foundation will award two scholarships to students who express a deep commitment to workplace mental health and wellness.
- Demonstrated track record of promoting mental health either through practice or through their academic studies
- Current SHRM member (professional or student)
- Enrolled in a degree-seeking undergraduate program or master's/doctoral program with at least one full semester remaining before graduation (I.e., You must be enrolled in classes after Dec. 31, 2022)
- University is a regionally accredited institution of higher learning
- Degree program is HR or HR-related (e.g. business, psychology, HR, org development, etc.)
- Minimum Grade Point Average
- Undergraduate - Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Graduate - Cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
This award is intended to assist with tuition and academic related fees. This award may not be used to cover books, room/board, supplies, or past academic expenses.
How to Apply
Online application including:
- Contact information
- Short answer questions about academic, volunteer, and promotion of mental health through practice or academic studies.
- Current Resume
- Transcripts from an accredited institution.*
- Transcripts can be "unofficial", but we reserve the right to request official transcript if additional verification is needed.
- Universities outside of the United States must be accredited by a widely recognized accrediting body within the country or by the agency or ministry that oversees higher education within the country
- One Letter of Reference**
*Transcripts must be in English. The SHRM Foundation may request an applicant with an international transcript to provide a transcript evaluation (at the applicant’s expense), from World Education Services or another reputable service, prior to reviewing an application.
**Applicants must request all recommendation letters through our application system. Letters may be written by work or volunteer colleagues, coaches, professors, etc. but should not come directly from the applicant or applicant's family members. We encourage applicants to request recommendation letters early in the application process. Please know, your application is not complete until your letter of recommendation is submitted and you select "submit."
Please print your application for your records before you submit it. Once you submit your application, the SHRM Foundation will not be able to return it to you, in whole or in part, for any reason.
Applications are evaluated and scored by SHRM volunteers and/or SHRM staff. All decisions are final. If selected to receive the Undergraduate or Graduate Academic Scholarship, recipients will be required to provide proof of enrollment and college/university payment instructions. The SHRM Foundation will issue a check not to exceed $10,000 directly to the institution for payment of tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution of one graduate and one undergraduate student. Fees for books, supplies, room/board and equipment are not covered by this award.
The two award recipients will be honored during the SHRM Foundation Tharseo event in Chicago, Illinois scheduled for October 17-18, 2022. The award will cover airfare, hotel, transportation, and appropriate meals for recipients.
Each scholarship is a one-time award; however, previous applicants and past scholarship recipients are eligible to re-apply.
- Full-time, part-time, online, and distance learning programs are acceptable.
- Scholarships are for college-degree programs only and may not be used to attend professional development seminars.
Please note, the SHRM Foundation does not reimburse for any fees or any associated expenses incurred prior to award. SHRM/SHRM Foundation employees or board members and the immediate family are not eligible to apply for SHRM Foundation Scholarships, Grants, or Awards. Previous SHRM employees are not eligible for one year following separation from the organization.