2024 Spring Certification Professional Grant
The SHRM Foundation offers professional grants to SHRM members seeking their SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification. This grant awards one SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification exam as well as SHRM's online Learning System.
- Current SHRM member (professional or student membership must be active through May 31, 2024)
- Meet eligibility requirements for SHRM Certification
- You must test in the Window #1 (Spring 2024) or Window #2 (Winter 2024-2025).
How to Apply
Complete online application including:
- Contact information
- Short answer questions about academic/training, volunteer and career experience and your need for the grant
- Current resume (or academic transcript if applicable)
- One letter of reference (letter may be addressed to the 'SHRM Foundation Grant Review Committee' and should provide insight into your character, academic or career and volunteer accomplishments, work ethic, and values. May be written by work or volunteer colleague, professor, coach, etc., but should not come from a family member)
Please print your application for your records before you submit it. Once you submit your application, the SHRM Foundation will not be able to return it to you, in whole or in part, for any reason.
- 40% work experience/progression (HR involvement and future career plans); current students without significant work experience will be reviewed based on academic background and breadth and quality of HR coursework
- 20% volunteer activity (SHRM experience preferred, but not required)
- 20% resiliency and ability to manage adversity
- 20% reference letter*
*Applicants must request all recommendation letters through our application system. SHRM Foundation cannot accept recommendation letters directly from applicants. We encourage applicants to request recommendation letters early in the application process. Please know, your application is not complete until your letter of recommendation is submitted and you select "submit."
Applications are reviewed and scored by groups of SHRM volunteers and are reviewed by staff. All decisions are final. Each grant is a one-time grant, however previous applicants and past recipients are eligible to re-apply. Receiving a grant previously is no guarantee of receiving a future grant.
Named Grants to be Awarded
Several of our professional grants are made possible through the generous support of the below organizations and individuals. You do not need to apply for a specific, named professional grant, if applicable the SHRM Foundation will determine for which grant you qualify.
- HR Mgmt. Association of Greensboro
- HR Florida State Council (3)
- Kansas State Council
- Louisville Chapter of SHRM
- Maine SHRM State Council
- Mid-Valley SHRM
- North Carolina SHRM State Council
- Northwest Human Resource Management Association
- Oregon State Council
- Pennsylvania State Council
- Salt Lake Chapter
- SHRM Jacksonville
- Texas Bay Area SHRM Chapter (2)
- Upper Peninsula Human Resources Association
- Valley Society for HR
- Virginia SHRM State Council
If you are selected to receive a SHRM Foundation Certification grant, you will receive access to the SHRM online Learning System and exam for the SHRM Certification for which you are eligible (SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP). The exam must be taken in Window #1 (Spring 2024) or Window #2 (Winter 2024-2025). If you do not use your Certification grant in either testing windows, you will have to reapply for a new grant, with no guarantee of receiving a new award.
Please note, the SHRM Foundation does not reimburse for certification exam fees, learning system fees, transfer fees, or any associated expenses. SHRM/SHRM Foundation employees or board members and the immediate family are not eligible to apply for SHRM Foundation Scholarships, Grants, or Awards.